19 January, 2015

A bad case of correlation

I'm a frequent visitor of arstechnica.com, these people write somewhat technical articles on interesting topics not far from reality, yet from a tech-savvy background. It's a good filter for the massive load of news published daily.

Today is one of those days I gaze at the affirmation embedded in the headlines. I'm bad at selling my views, which does not mean I don't have them. People who know me will even say I might have too many.

These two articles triggered my curiosity.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/01/google-drops-more-windows-0-days-somethings-gotta-give/

Seriously, Microsoft has defined what is secure and what is not for way too long. I can only applaud Google's actions.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/survey-says-security-products-waste-our-time/

Now this is interesting. I've worked in or near IT and ICT since 1992. It has stumped me how people tend to look at the jobs which they need to do. 

While most of these people are highly intelligent the solutions offered are often based on formula thinking rather than practicality.

IF you run a system spewing a lot of false positives AND people are actively ignoring them it is time to fire people. More often than not this is a case of few dictating the needs of many.

I'm sure this happens in most companies and this is an 'accepted risk' or 'there is no alternative'. I've cried 'foul' before and I'd cry 'foul' now. It is "the singularity directive" which turn solutions into formula's, the need to deliver and the deliver of need.

It takes craft to make systems work for you, not piling ego's.

No comments: