21 January, 2015

open source

It has been a while already, to some maybe a long time. It was only just today I've found the words for it.

If you still believe in the merits of open-source related to security, you had your head up your ars.

I've had my beliefs and doubts on the merits of open source but now it's time to let go of any remaining beliefs. It's better at providing potentially better, potentially more secure software but it takes commitment. The type of commitment easily orphaned when a project get's absorbed by large entities.

In a way I applaud the plethora of noticeable open-source failures related to security. It shows the deep hypocrisy and arrogance in even the 'coolest' companies. Maybe it is time to forget about encryption and privacy all together.

To have such mind-boggling exploits for such a widely used stack of software is not only an omission. It is a structural weakness in the open model, people get stuck in it and resources are allocated at random.

I hope to see or work on making some change happen though it has already.

A few million have been contributed. It is curious to see now it can while for decades it could not. I cannot fathom the disregard for the public and trust people put into open source projects. Especially by those companies touting from rooftops how great the open model is and how great open source software is.

I'd grown skeptical years before and was not thanked for posting such critical thoughts. More often than not it would cause a screen of deafness or blindness or vague insults.

Don't get me wrong, the model and my respect for the programmers still stand. It is the total disregard for it and them, what these people stand for which is appaling.

No comments: